Saturday, August 11, 2007

Ala Moana and Waikiki





I had a fun day exploring today! I decided last night that today was the day - I was trekking out on my own. Carpe Diem! I packed my bag: sunscreen (check), laptop (check), power cord (check), money and military pass and ID, (super check), maps...lots and lots of maps...(check check). Zeraline practiced her driving with me in the passenger seat and we went and picked chris up from work. there i left them and found me a bus station. woooohoooo! the bus came and it was break time. So after a $2 fare and a transfer ticket, i sat in the bus with the bus driver for 10 min talking and getting to know one another while he ate his lunch and took a break. So, he said "yah" before and after every word. It is a cultural thing and before I knew it, I was saying yah also! yah, you should try it, yah? anyway...off we go...30 min later we are entering downtown Honolulu! woohooo. I tried divine guidance and just got off and found myself at the Ala Moana shopping center. very large 3 story mall with LOTS of shops. I walked around and found City Hall in the mall and i read that they sold monthly bus passes for $40. So, i got me a bus pass with unlimited transfers and it travels all over Oahu, even to the north shore and back! wooohooo! i have wheels! I ate lunch, made a few phones calls over lunch. I then decided to go explore Waikiki. back on the bus... I sat next to a Japaneses teacher who was here on a two week vacation by herself. She is studying English to "make my skill higher." I says to hers she spoked very good english. (that was hard to write...didn't come naturally...hehe) after she got off the bus I waited a few stops and randomly got off the bus and ended up walking around and found the international market place! fun place. walked all around to find the best deal on postcards...by the way...7 for $1 next to the ABC store. by this time it was 5:30ish and i figured it would take me a while to get back home due to Friday, rush hour. I was correct. I got home at 7:15pm. not a bad day...just make sure you are not in a hurry!

No comments: